Sunday, September 10, 2006


Sensei Fumio Demura visited my farm this weekend, as part of the Valley Center Rec Commission Dojo's weekend of workshops. He is my father-in-law's sensei, and my father in law has been involved in karate for over 25 years.

I've met him and been on the outskirts of his visits and trainings for most of ten years, and I've noted something remarkable about him. I think it's characteristic of all truly great people: humility.

Here's a man who's given his life to his art, who travels the world on a never-ending whirlwind of training seminars, honors, etc... (they probably don't even allow him to use frequent flyer points, but if they did, he'd have millions of 'em). He has trained celebrities, movie stars, etc... The word is etc!

Still, when he's not out there training on the ring or mat or whatever, he's like Jesus was reported to be. He takes time to sit with children. He makes small talk with everyone. He once made me an oragami boat after I'd folded a frog for him--I still have the boat.

This is a man who could literally kill with a flick of his wrist, but he is kind, gentle, down-to-earth. There is much to be learned of true greatness, and I'm learning it seems to be infused with sincerity and humility. I may not have the patience for karate, but I'd like to think of the sensei's (is it plural?) as role models.

1 comment:

shetalks_toangels said...

I would say they are role models. But not just that. They are also a great listeners and friends. Expecally when ya don't have any! It's been along time since I've seen him. but I can recall sitting at the dojo for at least an hour after class talking about the things that were going on in my life and maybe how I should handle them. Then of course usally McDonalds. Because that was my sensei's favriote place to eat *wink*