Friday, February 06, 2009

Dirt

I have found that I know next-to-nothing about dirt.

Every farmer/gardener worth his green thumb should know all about dirt. Even every-day folk who just have a flower pot on the porch ought to know a little something. Here I am, however, on a warm day in February and ready to get gardening--and I must admit I know nada.

Now, this is especially embarrassing as I did grow up on a farm. We had a large spread, however, over 3000 irrigated acres, and we tilled and fertilized Big Picture. I am not on that scale, and I do not want to use chemicals (herbicides and pesticides and fertilizers) unless I have to.

Thank goodness for the Internet.

I need to find an "ask stupid gardening questions" website. I have so many to pose...

For instance, yesterday my 3 year old and I discovered some very nice dirt, to my way of thinking. It was under leaves and decomposed branches and rot, altogether an area about the size of an average yard, I'd guess. The soil was black and what I'd call loamy (?). It resembled the stuff you buy in a bag, potting soil. I'm pretty sure it's The Good Stuff. Now I just have to figure out what to do with it.

We raked up a mighty pile of debris covering the Black Dirt. It seems like it would be good to help make my raised beds not so compacted. I'm thinking about doing a lasagna effect and alternating layers of the leafy decomposed stuff, the black dirt, some real bagged stuff, some top soil (I'm thinking to have a truckload delivered for multiple purposes) and maybe some of the grass clippings from the last 2 years...but I have no idea what order or how thick or if I'm making a bad mix...

...but I CAN read, and I WILL find out.

To me, this phase, the dirt, is the most essential. I really want to get it right.

I know real gardeners work on things year-around, but at least I've burned off an area in January and am now getting my dirt together in February...building raised beds in March (and likely starting to plant something maybe).

I cannot wait to get home and get raking/shoveling again today!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can you rake up the loamy earth (compost) and move it to your raised beds? This is the type of material you want for your garden but it is not made overnight. If you begin your lasagna style garden this March you will find that when you go to plant it will still be pretty much leaves and grass clippings under the dirt. Whole leaves especially take quite a while to break down. They can be chopped, with a lawn mower, or you can compost them and it will be ready for next year. The price of having dirt hauled in will surprise you and it still may be only top soil and not the beautiful loamy soil that you are wanting. Definitely start a compost pile now for later. Then begin looking around for farms with old horse manure (over a year old) or cow manure (same) and begin hauling. Goat and sheep manure are good too and do not have to be aged. Get some books, the libraries can be surprising on what they have. Farmers could not raise food without their chemicals, it is the only farming they know, so sad. If the weather cooperates and you can begin building your raised beds earlier then do so as they take longer to build than you might think. Start looking for old rotten hay or straw now as you will need it for mulch if we have a dry summer and even if we do not it is a good for the plants and soil. Next fall cover the beds with hay or straw and maybe put some manure here and there to keep it from blowing away (Kansas). This will make you a nice soil for the following spring. The most important thing to remember is, you are taking a step in the right direction.

dejavaboom said...

WOW--whomever you are, thanks! I'm going to load up my kids and head to the library this afternoon, thanks to your inspiration (and today's rain). Thanks for the insights and encouragement.