Sunday, November 07, 2010

Knights and Daze

Party 'til you're pooped. (In some cases, yesterday, with as many toddlers as we had at the party, this was likely true. More than one kid waddled off with a load in his britches.)

I'd safely say we were all pretty exhausted after the 8th celebration of my eldest son's date of birth. We had 50 guests, 2 hrs of games, an exotic cake that was a true work of art, and I would offer, an overall great time. I was happy some of my best buddies were there, too, for we were able to talk shop over the ship among other things.

The theme was medieval. We had jousting, bridge sieges, a castle, a quest, dragons to battle, a cake decorated like an elaborate castle...altogether themed out and good times. I hope he will always remember it, and I hope the kids there had fun.

Jax received so very many nice, nice gifts. It was an incredible outpouring of generosity (even though we requested no presents, it was nice of you all). One neat idea came up, that we might offer in next year's invite that if anyone wished to bring a gift, that's welcome, but we're going to donate them to a children's home, etc.

It was a great day, as mentioned above...but it's also marking a very sad (in ways) date for me, as my little boy just keeps edging toward becoming a little man. He's only 8, my wife reminds me, but he seems to be 18 sometimes, and I just don't want to miss a thing.

That desire to capture it all, to experience everything, and to miss nothing--well, it's creating a big grudge against work. I like my job, but any job that separates me from family is just not good. If only some college or university could afford me full-time online! Someday, sooner every year I know, some school will pick me up. More and more academic work is conducted online, and I've been at it since 1990's somewhere...so maybe I'll be a viable candidate.

Meanwhile I just enjoy the hours I do have at home, and pack as much into the moments as they can handle. Sure it leaves me tuckered out, but it is a good feeling.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jax is going to love that, giving his gifts away next year! ;)

It is time you become a writer. Write because you love it and if you do what you love then it will take care of you, including financially.