Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Greeeeeeen Acres is the place to be!

Though it may be premature, for something could still go awry in the closing, yesterday we bought the farm! (Not in the colloquial, the literal...The farm I've always wanted!) It has about 5 acres of woods, 6 acres of pasture, a swell little home, several out buildings and four garage bays.
Indeed, I am like ol' Oliver Douglass and my wife is a bit like Lisa. I may be "citified," but I think I can still turn some soil and make something happen. Lora, like Lisa, is a bit reluctant, for she's never lived in the country before. (If you know Green Acres, you also may remember how they had to scale a pole to use the telephone--likewise, our mobile phones don't "get good tower" out there, unless one marches to the high end of the pasture.) Whitewater is no Hooterville, but it will have to do.
Overall, this is so much better than I even dreamed of a couple years ago, when I thought I would move to/take over the family homestead out in ugly ol' Ulysses. Sure that place had heritage, but this place has trees! With any luck, I can transfer some of the vibe from my dad's farm to my farm. I hope to be able to raise my boys like I was raised, but better! I can't wait to get them into 4H, to buy some livestock, to live on the land...
Amazing how things fall into place, too. Just yesterday evening, I was listening to Fresh Air on NPR when I encountered a brilliant agri-bio-theorist, Michael Pollan. He has a swell new book out (which I ordered moments ago) The Omnivore's Dilemma.
Among other things, he suggests that eating return to the sacred relationship it once meant with the land, that every meal should be an expression of our relationship to what keeps us alive. He suggests conscious living, sustainable agriculture, and conscientious consumption. As I transition back to my agrairian roots, I hope to put such theories into practice. (I already have a great garden designed, and I've found a good source for chickens and windmill parts.)
At last, it might seem, I may be able to live closer to my values. For the next month, during closing, all these mights and maybe's are going to drive me mad, but I'll just work off all the angst by packing a few boxes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if it's bad that I'm like Lisa since I don't really know Green Acres. I do know that my enthusiasm is rising slowly about being out there...the best part is being out there TOGETHER!

John B. said...

This is wonderful news. Mrs. M. and I have similar dreams, so we wish you well, even as we look to learn from your mistakes.

You might (also) enjoy reading From a Limestone Ledge by John Graves. He writes essays about the work of restoring his north-central Texas ranchland to somthing like it once was before overgrazing and such wore it out and dried up the springs on it.

Congratulations again.