Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Spring means More Stuff

Yes, it's garage sale season, and most every weekend, I'm out there picking over other people's stuff. It's more than a hobby; it's an obsession. The darker side is the Estate Sale, where one picks through the remains of the dead. At least, I guess, it's not as commercial as a flea market. And hey, I'm not buying retail. Reduce, re-use, recycle...and all that. I burrow through some of the nastiest stuff, spend a tank of gas every weekend, work up quite a sweat in the summer, and seldom to I ask, "for what?" (though my wife does, if I go solo and return with a truckload).

We would like to get our own home again, something in the country. Something with outbuildings, like I grew up with. Of course, the truth is, I likely just need more space to store more stuff. On that, I leave you with insighful words from George Carlin:

A house is just a pile of stuff with a cover on it. You can see that when you're taking off in an airplane. You look down, you see everybody's got a little pile of stuff. All the little piles of stuff. And when you leave your house, you gotta lock it up. Wouldn't want somebody to come by and take some of your stuff. They always take the good stuff. They never bother with that crap you're saving. All they want is the shiny stuff. That's what your house is, a place to keep your stuff while you go out and get...more stuff!

(if anyone has not heard the entire bit on "stuff" it is well worth downloading)

1 comment:

Mel said...

haha... you sound like my aunt... it's not junk it's antique ( i roll my eyes) yet I catch myself buying useless stuff too.