Tuesday, August 22, 2006

I've been FEZed

Some mysterious stranger (likely a student-reader of this blog) has altered the course of my life. Last May I wrote about a Fez, and Tuesday morning, upon entering my office--there it was, the stuff of dreams. I now have in my possession an incredible Fez. (Thanks! Is it mine to keep?)

Other ramblings and updates...or...what else does a 40-something guy do in the middle of the night when sleep evades him...

School is ON and I am frankly so into it I am not sleeping much. I don't know why. Monday I woke up at 3:3o. Tuesday I was at my desk at 5am. And now, early Wednesday morning, I'm awake and eager to get back at it.

I bought a new cell phone. I'd like to think it was not prompted by cell phone envy. (James Bond would envy some of the phones my students take for granted.) Mine was from 2002 and was unreliable at best. The new one sports more bells and whistles than I'll ever use, but it has an mp3 player that is promising, even if it gets used for little else.

My beagle wheezes. (I just like the sound of that sentence, not particularly the sound of Roger's chronic lung problem.) You'd think it would inspire me to, say, quit smoking or something. At night he grunts around, something like a pot-bellied pig.

Parenting is such a great purpose and joy in life--if only I'd known, I would have made many more kids, back in the day. Herding toddlers in my 40's is...well, challenging, enlightening, rewarding, tiring, etc.

The Blue Man Group is going to be in Oklahoma this semester. I will be there.

I am a lifetime honorary member and current advisor of Phi Theta Kappa, the academic honorary of community colleges--but I graduated at the middle of my high school class, tanked on the ACT, and frittered away years and fortunes in college. Nonetheless, PTK is cool [another blog, another day].

Tonight in the tub my 3 yr old was fascinated with his manhood. Female readers of this blog are likely thinking, 'some things about men never change.'

Steven Wright is one of the world's greatest comedians. (Look him up.)

My homestead is overgrown with weeds. At first, I had no equipment to manage the problem (that was a good excuse!). Now my Super C Farmall runs like a top and my newly-revamped ZTR Hustler mower can run circles around--well, around anything. Travel was always in the way, for I was out of town/state every two weeks this summer. Now, I'm rooted, back at work, going no where for 3 to 4 weeks at a stretch. My latest excuse won't last much longer--that it's too hot or humid or wet out. The weeds are grateful. My conscience is heavy-laden with guilt...BUT, I rationalize and theorize until I can live with it.
Here's my latest (and in some ways viable) excuse: I want this place to be 'environmentally responsible' and I want to live in harmony with nature instead of constantly kill and mow and spray everything. (Maybe that one will carry me until it snows!)

Writing blogs is a practice in vulnerability and exposure as well as expression. Reading blogs is a practice of voyeurism and enlightenment. I don't know what anyone gets from reading my blog, really, but I've been dormant for three months, so I gave you a break.

I read that over 8 million people are blogging weekly.

I think I'll go do some laundry.

It's foggy outside.

This blog is getting foggy, too.

Adieu.

PS: 'adieu' would be a terrible word for Wheel of Fortune, Hangman, etc.

2 comments:

dejavaboom said...

JB wrote a comment, but now it's lost in cyberspace. (Sorry, I'm still a digital dunce, I probably lost it.)

My counter suggests several peeps are peeking in--write something back. It's cold and lonely out here in the 'blogosphere' without you.

Anonymous said...

The fez is yours to keep. Enjoy!