Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Farewells

Maybe science teachers don't get this...maybe some of my students won't even believe this (though they don't read this blog, anyway), those at least who see me as an evil uber grader...EVERY semester, my wife has to deal with it, so i thought I would just document it here.

I go through a phase of something-like-sadness every semester after grades are turned in. On the one hand, I have my standard out-of-the-box regret and worry that I coulda/shoulda done more to equip my students. On the other, I have this more emotional, probably inappropriate, sadness. I'll likely never see these folks again, for the most part. We've endured so much together in just 15 weeks. I've gotten in their heads through their journals. I've wrestled rhetoric with them. I've watched them grow. It's something akin, in ways, to the empty nest syndrome parents feel when their kids go on. Maybe it's a bit like sending someone off to the battle front.

I get a twinge of it again, at commencement sometimes, but it's just not the same.

I like this time of year, for now that all the grades are in, students can drop the Eddie Haskell and just be honest and true. That's when a teacher learns the most, so far as impact, etc. Instructor evaluations are enlightening. Candid journal assessments are, too. I think the biggest endorsement that I must be doing something right is when students refer their family members (husbands, children, etc) to take my courses, or when a student actually takes another course with me in the future. Either they are masochists, or they feel they are getting something from the exposure.

Meanwhile, I'll work through it, like I always do. I busy myself with things-to-do over breaks, and I try to put it all out of my mind. The great (?) thing about this job is that I get a whole new crop of folk next semester to invest in, again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Mark,
That's great that you care so much.I often wonder if many teachers really do care about their students. To many, it's just a pay check. I wish I could take one of your classes. I bet you're one of those teachers that can really connect with the students. I don't doubt it at all.
From my view, this time of year is sad for students too. I just completed my last semester at Cowley. I can finally move on. So many people here touched my life. I'm kind of torn about it. But, it's time to move on.
Any big plans for the break?
Oh... have you heard of the Appalachian Christmas Quartet? They're resident in Wichita. They play some cool Christmas music, with drums and other interesting music. They're playing in Wichita all month. Maybe you could take the fam if you're interested, google them for more info. They're certainly worth watching.
Well, peace out.

Anonymous said...

What is intresting is that I have taken basic english, english comp I and not until comp II did I start really learning anything. With the three other professors I've had I came to class tried not to fall asleep (and I'm am thinking of lit as my major) Until I got to comp II with you. Over all I think you are an exellent teacher and friend. I have refered you to anyone who has asked me who to take for english..and maybe that's why I'm enrolled in your lit class next semseter. So, put on a happy face!!! Until then Happy Holidays, ho ho ho and all that other holiday cheer!