Wednesday, January 03, 2007

You talkin' to ME?

Parenthood continues to enlighten me. Now I'm even going to use it to develop a story idea I've been camped on a while. In the story, a character encounters himself-from-the-future (I know, it couldn't happen, due to space/time laws, etc, but it's fun to think about) who has returned to help his former self. I've found it engaging even to think about--how much would future self tell present self? how would present self feel about being mentored by himself? truly, how potent IS hindsight? ...stuff like that.

In the story, they come to conflict over --well, I won't say here-- but that was always a bit flat before I made a point of view shift. Even then, it was just not going anywhere.

Then, just last month, I had a parenting epiphany which will contribute to my creativity...my son, Jax, is not only my spittin' image, he is not only genetically a mini-me, he also has (for better or worse) my disposition, my imagination, my spirit--it's like he's a clone only better, for he still hops off his own way. Yesterday, I had a 'discipline moment' which I just absolutely hate...anyway, he responded exactly like I would have. I told my wife, it's like fighting with myself. Then, I started trying to double think: "If I were him, and x were my discipline, then what would I do--and how, knowing that, can I change up the discipline or the stimulus/response to get better results?" ...that sort of thing.

It plays perfectly in to the story from the current perspective I'm writing. Thanks son!

No comments: