Wednesday, March 14, 2007

All is not lost

So, my hard-drive crashed and burned. It was extracted from my work PC and today I held it in my hand...a small brick of a thing not much bigger than a PopTart. I liken it to holding a beating heart or brain in my hand...a metaphysical encounter...and so very sad. "Alas, poor Woolery, I knew him well." (I name all my computers after game show hosts: Wink, Sajak, Vanna, etc...).

...and NO, I did not back things up well. I lost somewhere around 200 bookmarked sites I so loved. I lost all my creative writing (secretly done on company time, so 'serves me right!). I lost virtually every handout, lesson plan, submitted/graded assignment, etc...two years' worth of content/materials I'll be challenged to recreate.

*sigh*

The good news: we can rebuild him. (From the 6 million $ man)

Stronger, faster, more organized...that will be my new PC (at the moment, un-named). Already I've been constructing more logical folder names, improvements on "odd stuff" or "old" or "omniscience found here." I'm reloading the gadgets and gizmos and shortcuts and programs that have been helpful over the years, like Trillian and Impatica, Softchalk and a gradebook tool...I'm clamping down security and uploading (right now) every spyware/adware/virus protection gizmo I've come to trust. I've even figured out a way to automatically tack the file/path name to every document I generate from now on, so I won't waste time poking around in my PC hunting for a file.

Maybe this will even revolutionize my cyberself, altogether. Maybe, since my template for blogger has been lost, I'll revamp even this blog's look, sometime soon.

So, I've cycled through all the stages of grieving now. Yesterday wasn't pretty, but I'm coming around. Yesterday, for just an instant, I was so angry I wanted to destroy my PC, a la "Office Space." I came to depression over just how much I've lost, how many links I may never retrace...that's still resurfacing...I returned from a break in denial, though fleeting--and I'm camping somewhere on acceptance.

Gameshow host names are coveted, if any reader has a recommendation...

2 comments:

John B. said...

Art (Fleming).
Alex (Trebek).
Peter (Marshall).
Bill (Cullen).
Richard (Dawson).
Bob (Barker).

dejavaboom said...

As news comes out from the oh-so-reputable Star magazine, "Bob Barker — the host of The Price is Right who plans to retire in June after 35 years — is in the running for his 18th and 19th Emmy nominations as both emcee and executive producer of that show...." I am currently leaning toward naming the new hard-drive/PC "BARKER"

(Thanks for the list, John! Dawson would also be good, but I don't want my PC pandering toward the ladies.)Then again, I could name it Damon Killian, Dawson's evil character in "The Running Man."