Tuesday, April 03, 2007

We, the sissies...

Okay, time for my conservative side.

Recess without dodge-ball? Red Rover? 'Tis true, some schools have regulations on recess (something of a paradox, governed/regulated free time), prohibiting activities that might be hurtful to a child's self image. If they've not already, I'm sure picking-of-teams is on the list of activities to be cut soon.

Extra-curricular activities reflect this cultural sensitivity, this hyperactive Politically Correct movement...just last week on the news I heard of little league teams which have outlawed all 'chatter' (unless it's positive). No more, "we need a pitcher, not a belly itcher," or anything so damning to the soul and tender self image. This is the same school of thought which brings us a trophy for every kid on the team, regardless of their performance or standing. Everyone is treated the same; no one is a loser.

What forced my hand, however, was the story I heard about rope-less jump rope for Physical Education class. Some students who were challenged by coordination, others who were overly taxed by gravity due to unavoidable girth (read: fat), others who stood out as awkward--complained enough that now even jumping rope is a hurdle too high. Some schools are now having children pretend to jump rope in P.E. I suppose this saves money on gym equipment, too.

This, to say nothing of grade inflation, academic negligence/malpractice suits, etc.

Anyone who regularly reads Musement Park knows I value my children above all, and the last thing I would want (in fact, something that I dread so very much I am considering homeschooling) would be for them to be bruised, beaten, belittled or in any way emotionally injured. Guess what? That's life. That's what I've learned and how I've been working through all my reservations and uber-parenting problems. We have all grown through the school of hard knocks. I was last to be picked for years. I was the target in dodgeball. I was pummeled in Red Rover, field hockey, etc...but I survived.

Boy in a Bubble--the future?
There seems no end to the regulatory, prophylactic measures our current culture deploys. If my child is to ride the bus to school, he may have to stand in a little out-house-like shelter until the bus arrives. On the bus, he may be enveloped in a protective shell around his individual assigned seat--wouldn't want unfavorable audibles to damage his sensitivities (to say nothing of spitballs). At school, he would have to march lockstep with his peers, all in uniform (so no one would feel left out or weird). School work would be play, and everyone would get a gold star every day...no scratch that, for gold stars are emblems of war...better give everyone a Wal-mart smiley face sticker. School is no longer a place for sports, music, forensics, debate or anything else that would distinguish a person as good/poor. After school, it's the same safe, secure transport back to the safe and secure hermetically sealed home.

How does this make sense?
While on the one hand, good-intentioned people are going to extremes to protect the delicate ego of the child. On the other, industry and commerce are working overtime to lure egos of all ages by any medium and by every variation of content (objectionable? maybe a generation ago--get with the times, bub!). Standards of decency, even of respect, are being recoded for our culture. So, it seems quite the quandary: protect children from any harm, but allow them to become omnivorous consumers without conscience.

Going south...
I'm digressing, and thus, I'll shut 'er down. I am just so very amazed at how things change! I don't have any answers, but I am alarmed and aware. I don't want my kids to be hurt, but neither do I want my boys to be a bunch of sissies!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean. This isn't Harrison Bergeron (sp?)And I don't want it to be. Whenever I'm pained about the unequal skill set we're each given, I'm reminded of that story and then I remember why we're not all the same skill level.
It's a tough world, but that's what makes it so great. Competition is king. It always lights a fire under me and makes me perform far better than without an opponent.