Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Falling...Head over Heels

Literally.
I used to find great amusement in the simplest of things, like the slapstick classic where a person slips on a banana peel. That always just cracked me up, and the more dignified the fall-ee, the better.

That is, of course, until it happened to me.

Last term, I had a similar incident, where I fell no less than three times when getting my car open (door freezes shut) and then the windshield cleared--but that I could understand and anticipate at least a bit, for I was engaged in wild gyrations on an obviously icy surface.

However, yesterday I was leaving my workplace and took a hard fall not ten steps outside the building--yesterday it was not even all-that iced over outside. It looked like a little drizzle, but it was treacherously slick! Upon getting up, I fell again in two steps, hard. I had to crawl part of the way to my vehicle.

What's so funny?
Makes me think (not about litigation, except when I move and it hurts). I guess it seemed funny before when people would fall for they were doing something out-of-the-ordinary, surprising (at least to the fall-ee). Maybe the humor was in the sudden loss of dignity, the pulling-the-rug out from under someone? I don't know much about the theory of humor, but I do know that sudden incongruity plays its part. I would bet my airborne antics were pretty funny, too, as physical humor goes. Now that I have been subject to such a fall, however, I don't know if I will find it so very funny when I next witness it. I do, however, find it highly amusing when someone trips on a crack, falls indecorously, then gets up to examine the crack in an exaggerated way to call attention to the crack, as if to say to all the world, "Ah-ha, that's the culprit, I am NOT a klutz." I suppose I will always find that face-saving silliness to be funny.

I am not bitter about it, and I'm not defending myself. After all, no one witnessed it but my wife and son. Admittedly, I was ignorant in this instance, totally blind-sided by the ice. I should have known better, I guess, somehow. I am not blaming the ice nor the workplace; it was my fault. For those who do not know me, I walk with an ostrich-like gait, bobbing, big/quick steps something like a pigeon, I'm told. That is an unwise walk on ice, let me tell you!

It brings up a question. Since it was funny until it happened to me, does that suggest that the more such things happen to me, the less I will find life to be funny?

2 comments:

John B. said...

With regard to your closing question, I think that if that were to happen, you'd be one depressing dude to be around.

My encounter with the ice took place yesterday; I hadn't realized it had been drizzling and freezing, and so when I took Scruffy out for his afternoon walk, I wasn't wearing the right shoes and I went down with my very first step. I have a couple of bruises but I'm otherwise okay. I don't know if I found it especially mirth-inducing, but I wasn't angry, either. I just felt foolish regarding my ignorance about the weather.

Oh--Here's Mel Brooks on the difference between tragedy and comedy: "Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." Not quite Aristotle, but not too bad, actually.

Anonymous said...

Well, it wasn't funny...except when Jax said, "Oh S**t, Dad just fell." That was pretty funny!