Monday, September 08, 2008

FRT's

Go here for the story on fish farts, then come back for more. So little that we know! I am fascinated by nature, and I'm happy to keep company with biologists that can enlighten me on a regular basis. I ask them questions like a 5 year old, and like a kind parent, they are always happy to lift the veil and make me smart.

The story linked above is not new news, but it's new to me. I guess I did not think much about fish flatulence prior to reading that piece. Now, considering how many fish are in the ocean, I wonder why it is not always churning like a bubbling jacuzzi. (I also thought fish, if they did fart, would contribute to the methane problem, but it turns out they fart nitrogen. I wonder what it would be like to fart nitrogen instead of propane? I'll have to ask a biologist.)

The article discusses a form of communication that routs from the fish's swim bladder out their south pole. I find it curious that the sound is almost an exclusive for that species, that other fish cannot hear their farting communication. That would be interesting. I wonder if my beagle can hear it when I pass gas on one of our walks. I wonder if fish make profound speeches in fart talk....state of the union addresses? proposals for marriage? polite conversation? water cooler--oh, well, their world's a water cooler, I guess...

I also wonder, as I do whenever I read such articles, just who has the time to listen to fish fart? Who's paying these jokers for their troubles? What potential application might this revelation have for our life/times? The article made me think that perhaps one might hone in on various kinds of fish and lure them in (or at least find them grouped, a shoal.) If we learn to communicate with them, maybe we can learn something new from their kind.

I was also taken aback by the potential problem of human-generated noise pollution. The scientists speculated it may have some adverse affect on fish communication. How often does one think about noise pollution to begin with...and then to think of it underwater? (!) I'll confess my ignorance--I'd never given it much thought. I figured a speed boat roaring over a lake might cause some annoyance for those below the water line, just as it does for those of us shore-side. I've always thought deep sea tests of nuclear bombs would not likely be well-received by marine life. But I've not often (well, maybe when swimming underwater) thought of noise pollution under the sea.

1 comment:

John B. said...

I'm on sabbatical, you may have heard. Generally, I've been very good about spending a good-sized chunk of the day doing something along the lines of what I told the sabbatical committee I would be doing. A couple of days ago, though, I was being a bit less diligent, and I was feeling a little guilty about that.

But at least I was thinking about what I should be doing. You, sir, with a full load of classes and a family underfoot to boot, are worried about fish flatulence?

I don't know, Deja . . . maybe I'm mistaken in thinking I'm the one who has things easy this semester.

(Actually, given recent events with you, you're entitled to pondering nitrogen farts. It's good to see you posting more regularly.)