Friday, July 09, 2010

Creating Creativity

I've always been challenged by my job. I feel like I'm teaching something that is intuitive--communication. I fumble over how to help very-articulate speakers become adequate writers. I worry that technology and the Modern Age will eclipse and out date me someday. I wonder, often, if I'm the right guy for the job.

Amplify all the above and put some spin on creativity, namely creative writing courses. My problem with instruction in communication or creativity is that these come very easy for me, so they are hard to teach. I might be a better math teacher. (he he he)

I am not alone in questioning this. In all probability, most teachers of performance arts ask themselves similar questions at times.

For me, it's too easy to say someone is born with it or not. I consider creativity to be something of a skill that can be learned. I try to offer creative writing as if it were helping people to flex their creative muscles and minds. Sure, it would be great if everyone were published, if everyone wrote literary masterpieces, but I more readily see my purpose in helping folks to express themselves more fluidly (composition) and then more artfully (creative writing).

I sure hope I don't miss the mark with this creative writing course I am constructing.

No comments: