Thursday, July 01, 2010

Rebel said "no!"

I've enjoyed 7 years of being the best friend (though I have stepped in as disciplinarian and always acted as father, too). I've been the favorite over TV, movies, even books at bedtime. Though there have been many skirmishes over whether the kids get another piece of candy or if they must clean their toy room, it's been okay...until now.

My 7 year old said no to a trip to town to see me, eat lunch, and visit his favorite barber, Chuck.

This is unprecedented.

Maybe I am reading too much into this, but it feels like teenage rebellion. How could he say no to a haircut?! He loves seeing Chuck, telling him stories, generally being at the barber shop. He loves coming to the college to see me, prowl the halls, use the hand sanitizer, see Jeff, etc...and all my boys love to eat out.

I am perplexed. I've asked him a dozen times, and he always says he had something better to do.

Trouble on the horizon?

I guess I should be happy that he's coming into his own. All four kids have distinct personalities, proclivities, likes and dislikes. They all have such spirit and drive. I have always fostered individuality, and if Jax wants his own space, I should honor that.

It just feels like he's outgrowing us, years too soon. I miss my little boy.

2 comments:

Lora said...

I do think you are reading too much into it...he NEVER wants to go. He is much happier to just stay home and enjoy his house and his property. I don't think it was personal and I don't think he is outgrowing us. He REALLY is your best friend and would still value your time together more than anything else.

Anonymous said...

Sad as it may seem, this is just the beginning. It is not a bad thing, it is just the inevitable. The good news is that he is only 7 and you still are his hero and buddy, for now. Life slowly prepares us for what is coming. It is all good.