Sunday, February 13, 2011

Peas in a Pod

My wife and I spent a romantic weekend in a bed and breakfast. For us, it would have been romantic to simply be able to converse uninterrupted (we have 4 kids) and in private (we also have 3 other adults living in our house). We were able to have free-flowing, unobstructed dialogue (the B&B was virtually unplugged, too, a reconstituted 1880's hotel, rooms were sans wifi, TV, etc.) for hours!

A result of all that is not the happy conception of yet another child.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Instead, we were able to compare notes on some life goals, and we were able to learn that we are, even after nearly a decade, both on the same page. In fact, we were very close on our goals, virtually synchronized. We also were able to learn each others priorities anew, too. I, for instance, did not know she still wanted to get a degree; she did not realize how very important it is to me to build onto the house.

People need time and space. Married people need some of that together. We very seldom (quarterly, semi-annually) get time like that. It was the best Valentine's gift EVER.

1 comment:

Lora said...

You are very welcome!! I had a fantastic time and can think of no better way it could have been spent! I agree that we have learned from each other once again, but most important I think we learned just how in sync we are! I love you!! :)