Thursday, September 15, 2011

Darius Rucker

We were fortunate to be able to attend the State Fair concert Tuesday night performed by Darius Rucker. If anyone is unfamiliar, he's a country-western singer. I would offer, he's a great country-western singer. More than that, he's a great song writer.

People know him as the former front man for Hootie and the Blowfish. They also know him as "that black country singer."

That's what bothers me. Sure, it's novel that he crossed over from pop/blues to country. Sure, he's the only African-American since Charley Pride to make the c/w charts....but that's what's so bothersome.

I get tired of people giving him mention as the black guy who sings country.

My point is simple: Darius Rucker is a great musician in his own right, by his own skill, regardless of his background or race. I like his singing, sure, but his lyrics (that is, that he writes) are outstanding...yes commercial, but still, outstanding!