Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Horse...water...drink

You know the old saw: you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

This is what I am resigning myself to this week when I am giving out what I consider to be my very best content lectures of the year. People are doing their nails, doing their other homework, doing time like convicts....doing anything to really keep from engaging in the content.

I'd say 1/4 of any given class did not even have pen/paper out to take notes. I consider this the greatest showing of disrespect, as if to say, "You're not even going to say anything noteworthy in these three hours."

The material was on research, and what I shared with classes has saved me literally thousands of hours of agonizing research. I'm offering them tips and techniques to have research automated, where search results are constantly piped directly to the researcher who bothers to set up RSS or GoogleAlerts. I told them how to use databases better, how to build a smarter search, how to outsmart Google itself. All of it was good stuff. I know it was all lecture, and I know the research paper is over a month away, but man....what a heart breaker to face such utter apathy for 3 full hours.

*sigh*

No comments: