Monday, November 07, 2011

Lust for Life

I got a lust for life.
Recently attended a funeral that was, for once, truly a celebration of life. The family and friends of the departed spoke of her true character, her true authenticity, and I had waves of epiphanies all through the service.

1) While sometimes some people strive for greatness and acceptance, try too hard with all manner of grandstanding and pomp, this individual was remembered and cherished for simply being kind and loving. While this might seem an easy accomplishment, she was so sincerely kind that it was unmistakably her trademark virtue. I am charged with a mad desire to be more real, more kind.

2) Live large, die humbly. This person lived so largely, on such a grand canvas, yet from any distance it might seem so 'normal.' By this I mean, she was large in heart, large and long suffering in love. She did not fly rockets to the moon or bathe in crystal springs in the Mediterranean, but she touched the life of every individual who crossed her doorstep. She left an indelible mark on we who were lucky enough to have known her. I am chastised for trying too hard to be Something, not trying hard enough to be human.

3) Just keep giving. Right up to her passing, this individual was concerned for her son, her husband, even for the nurses that cared for her. I have known the power of giving, but I've buried it under many layers of preoccupation lately. I am pressed to be more involved in the lives around me.

There are many more Take-Aways from that service, many things I'll be hoping to apply. I wanted to pen a few here, pin them down for posterity and accountability.

1 comment:

Gaia Gardener: said...

She sounds like she was a wonderful person. Thank you for reminding me, this morning, that all of us have the opportunity to make life better for those around us in uncountable small, but very important, ways.