Thursday, May 01, 2014

Blow me away

'Changing winds' photo (c) 2010, Kevin Dooley - license: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

Winds this week have been typical--for western Kansas! Around these gentler parts, it's unusual to have had relentless wind for something like two weeks.

It was so unusual for me this early morning to step outside to stillness! I have grown accustomed to fighting the storm door, the car door...to fighting the steering wheel like a ship's wheel in a gale. I was so surprised to find it so still--it actually reminded me of the "calm before the storm," so much so that I said as much aloud at that moment.

There's not much more creepy than that humid stillness, when the sky goes green/gold and you can hear everything and yet nothing at all, for the wind is no more and the birds and bugs are hunkered down. Last time I recall, I could only hear the dripping of run off from the roof, measuring the infinite time before the really rough stuff hit us. (At least, where I was at that time, no tornado, per se.)

It's that way with much of life, too, this twisted pacific moment before it all goes wild.

No comments: