Friday, November 05, 2010

The Freeze, and with it...

...the gloom descends.

Last night we picked pears, scaling as high as possible in the tree (over 20 ft). We worked diligently, knowing the fruit was all about to be turned to mush by the freeze. Likewise, we put the pumpkins indoors, hoping to keep them around to Thanksgiving.

And thus it begins, the bringing-in-of things. The great Retraction. All warmth and growth is being redacted from the poem of life. This weekend is another harbinger: Daylight Savings Time. Darkness falls ever-more-early.

A mild fall was fine with me. Yes, I had to mow more. Yes, it was hard to be disciplined to come inside to grade papers. Yes, I broke a sweat on Halloween.

This freeze has frozen me. My blood runs cold. It coagulates into a freezee of red, salty sludge. I don't want to move. I don't want to play outside. I just want to curl up and clutch my blankets around me.

I know, seasons must change.

Children must grow up.

Time must pass.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you grow eating pumpkins or jack-o-lantern pumpkins?

dejavaboom said...

So far, this year, not so much eating pumpkins, more decorative...but you can eat those, too, right? Think there's a market for eating pumpkins, next year?

Anonymous said...

You can eat them but they are not near as good. Also they are much harder to clean because they have a thin "meat" which makes them hard to peel. (which often makes people never want to do that again.)Sorry to say that the result may be disappointing. Eating pumpkins have a thick meat and this makes them easy to work with and the eating result is fantastic. I have had eating pumpkins that I had to guard because the rats would eat them. The carving pumpkins, the rats never did eat. Let the kids have fun making them into lawn art for the holidays.
You can raise both next year, but you cannot keep the seed for replanting because it will be crossed. I can give you some advise on squash bugs too, but another day. Stupid paper to write.