Saturday, February 18, 2006

10 day drought

Though I don't know that anyone much checks this blog, I apologize for the lapse. I've been writing in other blogs, hardcopy journals and grading paper like mad. No promises, but today..I'm back!

Sleep and time annoy me. Technology terrifies me. That said, I love a good nap. I power nap when I can, usually 10 minutes gets me along fine. I usually sleep from 10pm to 4 or so am, get to work by 5, but alas, don't return to my family until about 5pm (or later when obligated). There's a new movie coming out (another one) where somebody can literally manage time with a remote. Not a new idea, but a good one. I so wish I could do this, to make very second with my loved ones just last and last. Friday, I had a class period that was so good, I would replay it a dozen times a day, if only I could. THAT technology would be great...

...or would it. Everyone wishes they could relive moments, fast forward through a few, put life on hold now and then...but would we really want to? There is much to be said for living in the moment, not regretting the past, not getting too nostalgic over anything already done nor fear anything yet to come. To live thusly, one needs no technology, only attentiveness (and maybe a blog or journal to record the moments and reflect on them). If we really had technology to manage time, I think it would be awful, for we would get spoiled and self-consumed even more than we are as a culture.

Bottom line: live NOW.

2 comments:

Mel said...

Life would be so boring if you could control every little moment. We wouldn't truly be living...

Anonymous said...

I do not think we would use the technology wisely if we had the opportunity...that said, I wish I could stop time sometimes, too!