Friday, May 05, 2006

The Day After

Well, as anticipated, I survived my concert. I had an extra hour to practice my little ditty on the vibes before the show, thinking that I would nail it in concert--well, that didn't happen, but I did feel comfortable that I did my best. We had a reasonably-good-sized crowd, under 100 but somewhere over 60-ish; about 25 of those were my family and students. I could not believe, on the way home, just how relaxed and calm I felt. Today is the same. "I feel good," as the Godfather of Soul (or is it Funk) James Brown, would say!

I think the title of this entry is good in itself, reflecting my survival of the thermonuclear terrors of the TMU concert; however, when I typed the title, it reminded me of The Day After (1983) (TV) , which I vividly recall after seeing it telecast in the '80's. (We all watched it at Kansas State together, eager to see KU vaporized--which I now realize is maybe a bit callous.) I find it strange that nuclear obliteration is not given much attention these days. Sure we hear of the up-coming threat of a "nuclear Iran," but from my (admittedly limited) knowledge, we're surely well-armed globally to still toast the planet. [Read some Jonathan Schell...The Fate of the Earth scared the pee-waddin' out of me 20 years ago.]

For now, however, instead of looking to the skies for falling missles, I think I'll go home and play with my kids. Like everyone else, I guess there's no point getting all worried about it right now, eh?

No comments: