Monday, May 08, 2006

Moving

Spent the morning moving, rather than grading. I tell everyone it's my last move. I'd even like to be buried on this place, back in the trees, maybe turned into mulch/fertilizer for the garden some day.

Whenever I move, I am amazed at the accumulation of stuff. I wrote about stuff a few weeks ago. Anyway, the most interesting things resurface during a move. I'm finding some of my most prized possessions. I am an admitted packrat, and I've got boxes with nothing but trinkets and memories--for example: my grandfather's old shaving brush, a tap dance heel from Lana the dance teacher (fashioned into a key chain fob), a dozen scrapbook pages my son made when he was 2-3...and that's not all, I've also gathered up a lot of other people's old stuff. It's like pseudo-memories...things they should have found memorable but put in garage/estate sales. I've had my eye on a fez for some time at an antique store, for instance. Why would anyone need a fez, you (and my wife) ask?


Who wouldn't want one of these babies?

Anyway, I know I should have a garage sale, but now I have outbuildings and 11 acres to fill, so I don't see myself ever, ever having another sale. Let the kids sort it all out in a few decades, I say! Meanwhile, I'll just keep accumulating stuff that might have some interest value or function some day...and hope I never have to move again!

No comments: