Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Let the Devil in the Door

Another parenting threshold stumbled over--this time: video games. Yes, my 4 year old was given a video game for his birthday last weekend. No hard feelings, cousins who gifted him with this, but you must know (should you ever read this blog) that I am mortified.


Will this some day be my child's fate?
I know not all gamers are geeks (or worse). I know that many have avid gaming interests and are still interactive, socially conscious human beings. I also know, however, too much about the industry, the dark side, the evil-doers!

Even at the most fundamental, gaming can rob a family of togetherness, and I treasure that very highly. So, we had our first 'family meeting' last night. I explained to mom and the 1 and 4 yr olds that I had, admittedly, lost the battle on the abuse of television in my household. I had, in addition, contributed to other infringements on our time together. However, I firmly asserted, with plugging in this video game, there would be some rules: 1)Never play alone 2)Never play more than 30 minutes a day. Well, we'll see how it goes. I just wanted to document here that I had made some effort to stop what I anticipate will be a tidal flow of media influence and infringement in our home. There, I tried.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try as you may, consider yourself screwed! Sorry to discourage but once video games enter the picture, there's seldom going back. Actually, no one has ever gone back that I know of.

shetalks_toangels said...

RIGHT ON! video games also could might possibly be one of the leading causes of ADD/ADHD.

Anonymous said...

Hi. Popped in via Blog Meridian.

My brother gave my boys, ages 10 and 7, an XBox last Christmas, without consulting me.

Yikes.

Our rules: No XBox or Computer games without asking permission. Then, if permission is granted, only 60 minutes, but each minute on the XBox/Computer reduces TV time. Total aggregate electronic media per day: 60 minutes. Finally, a minimum of 60 minutes per day, must be spent reading.

Cheers.

dejavaboom said...

Wow--I like those rules r.sherman! I may have to implement something like this in my home--I esp. like the balance w/reading! Good idea.

Anonymous said...

Are you happy that the game has pretty much lost all enthusiasm. It hasn't even been requested for weeks. I don't think he's ready for it anyway.

I am willing to go with the balance of reading and TV time, but I also think there is something to the imagination time that he gets with his castle and playtime.

We'll talk!!!