Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Belated Welcome to the World, Edison!


It's been over a WEEK and I've still not written this--geez!

On Tuesday, January 9th at 7:48am Edison Dwayne was brought into this world, 6.78lbs, 18 inches. (I took photos of everything they'd let me, witnessed the entire C-section for the third time, etc.)

Edison, a name that my (then) 3 year old dreamed up, is consistent with the other two boys (Jaxson, Carson). All three boys have middle names beginning with "D." They are all blonde and blue eyed. Someday, the three amigos will be a force to be reckoned with.

If you've not encountered the most excellent collection of essays online, This I Believe, take the time. Here's just one essay sharing thoughts similar to what I have to share with Edison. I'm sharing such things with him offline, however, in a hardcopy journal I keep for the family.

I will share (in spite of how many readers tire of wrinkly new baby stories) that I am a very proud and happy father. I see in my sons the greatest potential. I hope not to twist and tweak them out of their own directions, but to help/coach them where they want to be. Edison, being the third (and my wife says final) child, the baby of the family, will likely be the hardest to let go some day. I've already written here of my pre-anxiety related to future parenting issues...and I imagine the letting go will always be the hardest.

Quite the turn around for a guy who just over 4 years ago felt threatened by kids, felt they'd be life-sucking, demanding, pooping and eating machines I would never be able to relate to!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the newest member of the Jarvis clan!!!
That description of children you listed in your final paragraph? Those are the kids you find at state fairs and Walmart. :o)
Your kids will be however you raise them. Best of luck, this coming from a fellow parent.

Anonymous said...

Wow.. this is such wonderful news! Congratulations!
Chansi