Monday, August 20, 2007

Back in the Saddle Again


'Tis the first day of school for the term for me. To sum up in a word: uncomfortable. I've not worn shoes regularly, and now I'm back to the full-on suit. Classes don't start for me for another hour yet, and I find myself chomping at the bit.


In the past, I would watch inspirational "teacher movies" before the term started. I would wander the school supplies aisle and revel. If possible, I would visit a grade school classroom (under the pretense of supervising a volunteer) just so I could whiff the floor wax, the plastic painting aprons, the crayons...olfactory nostalgia is potent!


I am over all that, but I remain a person who likes to mark an occasion. I like to celebrate the end of one thing, the start of another. This tendency has amplified with children, from cutting teeth to using the toilet, from outgrowing clothes to dispensing with baby-talk....This need to launch fireworks, to dance naked in a ticker-tape parade...it seems it's getting more prominent as I age. Celebrating, or at least noting, the turn of semesters and seasons is likely understandable...but having a ceremony for the end of USA network's summer season, hosting a party to mourn the last Harry Potter book...really!


It's not that events, epochs, turns of every thing are not noted in reflective writings. It's not that they go unnoticed by my wife's scrapbooking camera. Heck, I even voice my huzzahs and laments, constantly. (Ask my wife!)


It's so commonly a part of me now that even my 4yr old models it. He was hanging down his head recently, and when I asked him why, he sighed that he was getting too old for some toy. He was already cognizant of his age and of how he is on a continuum.


So, anyway, smack some champagne on my hull and let's get on with it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did Jax really say that? I can't believe how much influence you have on him...do you realize it truly? Anyway, the semester is now a week old...any plans for celebration?