Monday, August 03, 2009

Carnage: "Cash for Clunkers"

I had heard a little about this government scheme to bolster auto sales and get gas guzzlers replaced with fuel-efficient cars. The gimmick sounded okay, seemed like a win/win. It's obviously been a hit with consumers, for the first billion set aside for that went fast! Finally a stimulating stimulus that gets down to the grass roots, or at least hits the pavement of Everywhere, America.

Then I learned they crush the cars turned in.

This seems immoral to me. What about the carbon foot print of that vehicle, to produce, distribute, etc. it in the first place? If it had another 10 years in it, why not wring that out of it? Ohhhhhhh that just chaps my hide.

I am, of course, a fan of old cars, one who idealizes salvage yards...generally, I'm a pack rat. I know there's talk of "recycling" the raw material of these cars.

It's just such wholesale destruction. Carnage!

What will kids drive? What will poor folk like me drive? If all the clunkers are crushed, then what cars will populate the lots of "Rent a Wreck?"

Behold, my first car, my grandfather's Ranchero:



I wish I could fire up a militant group of motor heads, but, alas, there are few shade tree mechanics who would flame over disposing of "modern day" cars of the 80's or 90's--things of plastic and tin that are too computerized to play with. Real motor heads are contentedly working on their muscle cars and vintage autos.

Nonetheless, it feels like we're disposing of cars with life left in them. Similarly, people are put out to pasture (some day to be crushed?) when they are at an age deemed "retirement." I have a couple retired folks under my roof...I think it's a death sentence. It makes one feel old. I don't believe in retirement of anything, I guess, not people, not cars, not even clothes. (Give them to Goodwill!)

No comments: