Thursday, August 27, 2009

Steampunk

This is my current desktop background, one I love so much I may never change it. It's from one of my treasured new websites, Steampunk wallpaper. I've long been fond of the general motif of all things steampunky, but I had not put the term to my tastes. That is, I've always been a motorhead, fascinated with sprockets and gears, Jules Verne and HG Welles. I used to make these "installations" of gears and cranks. One filled a 4x8 sheet of plywood, featuring meat grinders, cherry pitters, egg beaters, and a whole host of gears in all stages of rust and patina. (I should never have let that thing go!) I've always been a fan of Rube Goldberg and all his overly complicated design ideas.
I was first turned this direction, to this terminology, from my experiences in SecondLife. See this blog, the Heliograph! If my avatar could, I'm sure he'd live there (New Babbage) forever.




I just didn't know I was a steam punk until I finally learned what the term means. One could always go to Wikipedia for a bastardized cut/paste perspective. I suggest, instead, clicking to Brass Goggles (directly to their FAQ page) a great (and long-running) blog on the subject. Or, for a history of steampunk related more to literature, consult Steampunkopedia.
As with most things, I come to this late. The surge and popularity are long past. That suits me fine, anyway, for I am enthused regardless. The art and imagery attracts me more than anything else.

Go here for a very thoughtful and in-depth discussion of steam punk ethic, literary genre and style. Go here for a manifesto that says it all!


No comments: