Thursday, August 13, 2009

Turn off the moon, daddy

Not long ago, we went camping. It was a beautiful evening, the best weather all summer. We opted not to put the rainfly on the tent so we could watch the stars. It was a great decision. As I was dozing, I was enjoying the light show of the occasional falling star (the start, I later learned, of the Perseids meteor shower!). Some of the family was snoring. My youngest boy, however, was restless. He kept rolling around. Finally, exasperated, he asked sleepily: "Could you turn off the moon, daddy?"

That is so cool. No matter how powerless I may feel to prevent them from getting a skinned knee or a broken heart...no matter how weak and insecure I may be as a parent...they think I can control even the very Moon, itself! I remember them asking me, likewise, to make it day time again, to make the day last longer, to make it stop raining, snowing, etc...

I know, some day they will see me in my true colors and come to realize I am not omnipotent. They will likely think I'm something of a boob. For now, however, it's pretty cool that they look to me for all this. (And no, I don't deceive them and keep them believing I can rule the world, much as I'd like to--I'm honest with them...most of the time.)

No comments: