Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Introducing...web camming!

I am very excited (and grateful) that I now have a web cam! I do not know that I will post video footage here, but I do intend to use it in my courses. I also hope to use it for video-phone calls (Skype, VOIP...) but I do not yet know how much I'll use it for such things. I know I will employ it in desktop lectures, screen capture how-to's and the like.

I feel like a guy with one of those old telephones, the big boxy kind in which the ear piece was on a cord and the mouthpiece was a horn affair that jutted from the box; had to wind it up to ring and use it on a party line after all that... In the same way, I think all this compatibility crisis we have between software and hardware (and wetware for that matter) will be a thing of the past. Some fine day we'll be able to comfortably, afford-ably, flexibly have live-time video conferencing on hand held units. (You can see it in commercials--or in really old Dick Tracy comics--but it's still the stuff of dreams here in my office and lifestyle and most importantly, my budget.

Meanwhile, I'll cobble together whatever tools I can to communicate as well as I can and hope for the best, overall. As technology catches up to fancy, I'll be there in the stream.

No comments: