Thursday, September 02, 2010

"What if" entry

I spoke about this w/classes this week as an option for journaling, suggesting they write entries that speculated what life coulda/shoulda been like, had they only, or should they only...

If I'd decided to stay in Ark City after my dad died...

  • I would have always wondered if I could have returned home and lived in Ulysses (since learned that you can never really go back).
  • I would have never had this job at BCC, and thus, might not even have so many kids or so much fun at work as I do now--to say nothing of the fantastic people I've met, both staff and students.
  • I would surely not be living in the country, for I was trapped in town, over my head in a mortgage, etc.
  • I would have been too complacent and too content, yet also too wrapped up in the volunteer/service program that was taking 60 hrs a week or more out of my life's blood.
  • I would not now have my in-laws living with me, and thus would have missed out on the family and closeness and intergenerational charm that a blended home can sometimes offer.
  • I would have missed out on much of the technological advances I am afforded access to at this job, from an iPod to a Flip camera to (now) a webcam.
  • I would not be working with such great folk as I do, including the very great staff of the online program (unparalleled, anywhere) and the English dept crew here (such good people!).

That's just scratching the surface! This is just one fork in my road and where it's been leading. I find this practice to be just as rewarding when looking ahead to what choices I may have in the future and to speculate on what will happen when I take one course over another.

Tons o' fun.

No comments: