Monday, April 25, 2011

80's pop & random musings

What did I miss out on in the 1980's? Where was I? It's not like I was into country or something far afield, but somehow, I missed out on all the cheesy Madonna, George Michael, Michael Jackson...

I guess it was my classical music era.

Anyway, now it's refreshing, amusing, and surprisingly engaging music at times. I particularly like tuning it up when I'm grading. Most of it's chipper, which is important when slogging through the jungle of junior college freshman composition submissions....not that they're that bad, just that there's soooooo many to grade. *sigh*

Another Easter has come/gone. I remember some that were nothing but the eggs and the myth of the Easter bunny. I remember others that included sunrise services (some that I led, even). Now it's all about the kids, I guess, though like the Santa Argument, I have mixed emotions about all the Easter stories.

JC Superstar was such an influential album for me. It was the first vinyl I owned, likely some RCA record club special. I played the grooves off it. I learned every song, so very well that I can recite them to this day. That surprised me, when I called it up online last week, for after 10 years of ignoring it, the soundtrack still rings true for me. Surprising how deep some tracks are cut into my (otherwise fleeting) memory.

My Intro to Lit classes are surprising me, too. I took the cap off presentations, as advised by students last year who felt the 5 minute limit too constrictive. This term, I've had several that were 1/2 hour or more in length. Quality stuff, too. I had some very engaging multi-media presentations, using everything from a keyboard to Prezi software. I had a few in costume (though none can rival the girl who delivered her Dr. Seuss presentation in a Cat in the Hat costume, the entire presentation in Seuss-like rhyme and rhythm!) A guy brought a blow gun to class today. It's the same cat who caught his ex-girl friend's car on fire a few weeks back, then came last week with an elaborate hair fixin' for his rap presentation. The semester started with a bang with a 5 minute rap on Arthur Miller--accurate, entertaining, engaging. I am learning to step back and be amazed.

I like to be amazed. It is a good state of being.

Out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Loved JC Superstar the movie, I had to sneak out, lie to my parents to go with friends to Wichita to see it. I was not suppose to watch it. (or Exorcist either, had to sneak out to see that one too.) Anyway, loved it. Years later picked up the VHS of JCS and turned my kids on to it. We all went together to see the JCS play in Wichita, staring Ted Neeley a year ago. It was so fantastic that we caught the play again when it came back around in Manhattan a couple months later. It was great.

I will leave the 80 tunes for you. ;)

For newer music I was astonished at how great Green Day's music was the last few years.
Love Pearl Jam and Counting Crows.

Going to the Lynyrd Skynyrd - ZZ Top concert in May.

Rock on.