Monday, April 11, 2011

Poetry

For a few weeks every semester, I get to teach poetry. I used to dread every encounter with the genre, from grade school onward. I have given a lot of thought to this, and I've pretty much determined what happened...

As a young child I loved word play. I would toss around rhymes just to hear them bounce off my tongue. I loved reading playful books with poetic verse that really rocked the house. I liked writing witty little ditties that made me feel good, for I was able to mesh together rhymes into statements, stories, etc.

Then, somewhere in middle school, I think, I was introduced to Poetry (note, with a capital P), and then all the joy and playfulness was siphoned away, replaced by scansion of lines, deeper Meaning, allusions to literary things I did not know (and thus, being ignorant, I felt stupid). All through school thereafter Poetry waggled a finger in my face (or more accurately, the teachers delivering it) and I was made to feel ever-more ill-prepared and uninformed. I was no match for Poetry, as it was shared.

Sometime in graduate school a light went on, when I was reading ee cummings. I hated him with a passion, for his work seemed the most opaque, cryptic, and challenging of all Poetry. Then I listened to it. Then I just played along with him and his words. I was re-introduced to poetry at play, and then the tidal flood of all that was good clean fun came washing back over me.

I have since learned to appreciate poetry for its potency, for its life and vitality. I can enjoy a string of words, a bandwith of images, a bevy of symbols....I can just roll a word around on the tongue like someone else might a fine wine, and savor the many flavors of it. (In class last week, I likened this to Skittles, encouraging them to "taste the rainbow" of poetry.)

I confess I don't always "get it." There are many (probably most) poems I encounter that are more dense than I am, more unyielding to me (unless I am willing to research, read the footnotes, really work at it). You know what, though? That's okay with me. If I want it enough, I can penetrate any poem, even a translation, given time and energy.

What I really love, however, is simply wordsmith-ing and spoken word. I love poetry that is pyrotechnic. I groove on language for its sound and substance.

I hope I don't scare away any of my students when I go off on a word's 'feel' or texture. I hope they don't get the impression that I'm right or they're ignorant. Instead, I hope just a few of them leave class for the day listening to the euphony of a word, like diarrhea or mammogram.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like this guy, and his technology is fascinating... and scary. He says that we will need nano computers injected into our brains so we will be as intelligent as AI. I love a lot of his stuff; nanos to cure diabetes, end our energy crisis, etc. But some of the AI is a bit creepy. Maybe I have read too much SFiction.

dejavaboom said...

...and maybe it's all hyperbole, smoke and mirrors. Maybe he's proposing all this over the top tech to tell us, backhandedly, that we need to wise up, unplug, something radical like that. Sometimes I think RK is really stirring the pot, other times I fear he believes himself too much.

Anonymous said...

Check out some of Kurzweil's stuff on TED. Some of it is getting a bit dated but it is eye opening. Then I checked him out more on the web, from weird to awesome back to weird again.
I think he is the last guy to tell us to unplug. He wants us plugged in all the time. And I do think he is a bit full of himself.

Off topic and this is totally science fiction crud, have you watched the Dollhouse show. Some TV flick that we downloaded from Netflix. Weird.

Have a good one.

dejavaboom said...

Yep, been on RK for some time, all his TED talks, too. Even in Second Life.

I think he's on the outskirts on purpose, like a herald, shouting from the rooftops, if you will.

Whoever you are, Anon, you have good taste. Dollhouse is another creation of Joss Whedon, the genius behind Buffy, Firefly, and other sci-fi romps never to be forgotten....oh, and Doctor Horrible's Sing-Along Blog.