Monday, August 22, 2011

Seasteading

I heard on the radio that PayPal founder Peter Thiel has invested 1.25 million in seasteading, along with several other multi-millionaires. Wired ran the story here back in the 2008. Updated version here.

Stationed in International waters, sovereign colonies may some day feature:
  • alternative energies
  • abundant gardens
  • unrestricted guns
  • tiny houses (300 sq ft)
  • no welfare
all in a tidy libertarian environment with less government overhead. The first colonies are to be on refashioned oil derricks, which I admire (re-purposing).

While I worry that these will again just be resorts for the rich, I do hope for something more equitable. I admire such experimentation in social systems, and I just don't understand all the cynicism. I'm keeping a weather eye on this evolving concept, at any rate.

I wonder if they need a good wordsmith?

No comments: