Tuesday, August 30, 2011

THESE HANDS

This is a great exercise. I first did this at a workshop for Intergenerational service, for it works best at helping older people recollect some moments and skills...

These hands...
have shaken hands with presidents and senators
surprise me with creativity
are scarred and calloused
have built many model cars
once performed in a percussion ensemble
killed pets (in mercy)
visited the Atlantic and Pacific
have punched through walls in anger
grasped for meaning
shook many baby bottles
directed traffic
have applauded at over 50 concerts
have made beautiful music
have made armpit farts
are never idle
like to tickle the keyboard (computer, not piano)
built a pirate ship
helped sandbag against a flood
wrote award-winning grants
have pulled a calf
milked cows
cleaned rabbits
shot many, many guns
held hands with children and grandparents and all in between
win at rock, paper, scissors
wish they knew ASL
are good at building camp fires
know dirt and grease and work
have never failed me

4 comments:

John B. said...

Deja,

I am totally stealing this for today's in-class writing (we're beginning to talk about narrative, so this strikes me as a perfect intro.).

Thank you, thank you.

Gaia Gardener: said...

I love this! Is it just done as stream of consciousness? or do you write items down and then rearrange them? Any prompts?

dejavaboom said...

JB: I am glad it was something that might prove fruitful. Let me know how it works.

GG: this one was just thrown together, but one can compose it with greater purpose, intending more impact, etc. I look at it as a freewriting that could/should lead to something more. I'm glad you like it!

Lora said...

I'm telling you, you should write more often and open like this. I knew everything you wrote, but just seeing it again makes me realize just how great a person you are! Maybe I'll try to express for my hands sometime soon! :)