Sunday, February 19, 2012

Way to go...

It's 4am and I'm up with a biological issue (nuff said).

My faithful beagle is at my side. If I were blind, I'd still know, for he's NOISY.

Roger is 8, and he's never had a full complement of lung capacity (one doc said he was working on just 1/2 of his lungs, the other collapsed and never to restore). He was born into this, and he's always coped.

However, in the winter, in particular, he has a horrible hacking cough that's complemented by some gross mucus excretions. I think he has a horrible infection in his respiratory system. One vet gave us some pills but that dog's so smart he will NOT ingest them (and for his size, he's quite the fighter).

I wish I could get a fix, for sometimes he will get on a coughing/hacking fit that lasts thirty minutes. Some nights he's panting, gurgling, etc. all night long. I've seen him sleep through some days after nights like that. Poor guy.

It does bring up another question worth entertaining: how would you like to die? My kids asked me this yesterday, and I said: suddenly. That's an easy answer, but it's not too complete.

I know that I would NOT want to cough to death, like my poor beagle. I would not want to die of dysentery. I don't want to be a nuisance when I'm dying (hospital, home care, etc.) I would rather die in any of these ways than on-the-job, unless it meant better payoff for insurance.

My dad died in his sleep, but that would rob me of any famous last word opportunity.

I'd say I'd like to die in my wife's arms, but that seems burdensome and unpleasant for her.

Good ways to go:
  1. traveling
  2. doing something heroic
  3. on good terms


....I thought I'd have more....I dunno. NOT eating a heart attack hamburger.

4 comments:

Gaia Gardener: said...

With 5 dogs, getting pills down them becomes an all-too-frequent necessity. A kennel owner shared one tip that has worked VERY well for us - get regular cream cheese and cut off a small hunk, completely hiding the pill within it. I've yet to have a dog notice there's anything inside that delicious little morsel, and the cream cheese molds easily around any shape/size of pill. I just make quite sure that there is absolutely NO pill visible (and therefore tastable) before I give the pellet to them.

Gaia Gardener: said...

Oh, and as far as "how to die"....

I'm sure your wife appreciates the restraint about not dying in her arms! (I know I would! LOL!)

I think you should reconsider how your father went. I suspect last words are rarely noble or well thought out. Much better to write what you want to say now, leaving it with your will if you don't want it shared beforehand.

Personally, I'm hoping for the "die in my sleep" scenario, but trying to plan ahead for other, less pleasant, options.

Anonymous said...

Hold your dogs mouth wide open, get help if needed, yes be forceful. Throw the pill to the back of his throat and he will not be able to get it back up. If he does you did not throw it back far enough. Good luck.

On other subjects...
If I get a choice I choose to disappear.

dejavaboom said...

Gaia, thanks for the tip on the dog pills--I'll give it a go.

All: sometimes I think it would be great to go out in a blaze of glory, but I've yet to figure out just what that would be for an old English teacher.