Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Another Semester...and a Lament

Thursday will be the end of summer courses. Like my students, I'm very relieved. It's been a whirlwind trip, requiring me to grade 40-50 essays weekly--eeeeshh! My head aches to just reflect over that.

Like always, however, I'm ill-at-ease about the changing seasons, the days that churn by so very fast, the End of Summer...I guess it's better that I lament than if I were simply one who was callous or oblivious. I certainly feel these days passing.

I rededicate myself every term to exit gracefully, to regroup confidently, and to forge ahead. I mark every seasonal change with a song in my heart (even if it's sometimes a whimper) and I move ahead. It's not easy moving on.

Unrelated: I hate being poor. Yesterday I had the chance to get a FREE HOUSE, an entire HOUSE. It was not quite ready to live in, and it had to be moved 30 miles to my place, but still...a mid-20's farmhouse with lots of great wood and charm. I loved walking through the adjoining rooms, looking out the old-time windows (some glass rippled with age), imagining what life had been like in that home. I so enjoyed my visit to the place, that reason has taken a back seat. I know, I have no way to pay for moving the house, no way to pay for a foundation to set it on once here, no way to pay for all the remodeling, plumbing, electrical, etc. that must be done to the place--but all that aside, I really, really want that house. It would be so perfect attached or adjacent to our current farm house, giving our huge family more elbow room (MUCH NEEDED) and adding to the ambiance of the whole place. Alas, it is not to be so, I guess, unless I win the lottery.

No comments: