Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Circus circumspect?

Yesterday our family went to the Carson and Barnes circus. I'd read up on what PETA and others claimed about circus animals, and I was a little leery...but one son and I went for the set up, talked to the crew, scouted the animals' conditions, etc...and to the untrained eye, things looked hunky-dorey.

At the show itself, I was amused at how performers were billed as being from Circus Circus or from some exotic and distant country--the same cats I'd seen erecting tents and such that morning, the same folk who two acts previously had been from another country and another famous venue. Talk about economic use of personnel!

Other than that Tom Foolery, I was also amused at the way the circus attempted to hawk their wares, practically forcing extra cash from patrons. We were steeled up against this, and had, in fact, forewarned our kids NOT to beg. We were approached, I would guess on average, every five minutes: popcorn, pop, candy, souvenirs, coloring books, peanuts...and that was only after we were seated. Coming into the show, at intermission, and after the show, we were tempted with games, elephant rides, and more food. We were tight-fisted, held strong, and thus had some coin left afterwards to eat out.

The kids (ages 2 months to 6 years) just loved the show. Even my non-spectator child (the d0-er) was astounded, mesmerized. The aerial acts were amazing, and the dancing girl, Francesca, remains a feature in my fond reflections. The kids, of course, loved the clowns most of all. It did not matter to the kids that the show was only one ring, when billed as three. They did not care about the repeat, shape-shifting performers. None of them complained about the painful seating or the fact that it was 110 in the tent. It slipped their attention that virtually everyone associated with the show was Hispanic, speaking Spanish, and a wee-bit lackadaisical.

They wanted hoops of fire, white tigers, and more sequins, but I promised them all that if we ever go to Vegas or a really big show. For now, for a first-time circus experience, they had a blast, I had fun vicariously, and it was well-worth the money.

I'd like to take them to Wyoming, to a Wild West Show or Cowboy Festival/Fair event of some sort. I know they'd swoon over something like that!

This circus brought back memories of the one I attended as a child, you know, back before everything was so politically correct. It was a very large circus, with 3-5 rings, at least a dozen clowns in full regalia, monkeys and tigers and even a bear (as I recall). I was in the bleachers, high above the whole thing. I believe it was in Garden City or Dodge City.

I don't remember a whole lot from the circus, but I will never forget the Midway (obviously a thing of the past now!) : fat lady, strong man, frog man (deformed, smoked with his toes, walked on his hands); things preserved in jars, creepy snakes and alligators; midgets, giants, and tattooed people (again, back when that was circus fare); exotic people from distant lands regaling us with stories and magic!

Yes, we had television, but we seldom encountered anything remotely like this live and in-person. We had the occasional deformed calf born on the farm, but we never had seen people from other countries, differently-abled people, etc. I suppose the exposure was not all that healthy and likely demeaning (by modern standards) to some of the side show staff, but it was unforgettable--even after 40 years.

For me, the greatest show on earth remains the one in my home, with my kids meta- morphing constantly before my very eyes. They hail from the far reaches of imagination. The stories they tell, the gibberish they speak--unprecedented in life's more common thoroughfares! They baffle the senses with amazing feats (climbing on the back of the couch, flushing toys, overloading diapers). They are natural entertainers, performing 24/7, from gunfights to pirate wars, from fairy tales to historical re-enactments... There is never a dull moment in the family circus!

No comments: