Thursday, July 09, 2009

Over 1/2 way...*sigh*

I just realized today that my summer is almost over, that I'm over 50 days out, and have only 30 days left. It seems I've done nothing, accomplished nothing, just dinked around. I really hate that.

I guess I've been building a new course, and I've been building a carport, too. I've maintained the farm (mostly) and done lots of gardening. I've spent quite a bit of time w/my family.

I haven't traveled. I haven't got my house in order. I have yet to get that playground built or the trees trimmed or the basement fixed or...

This entry is a bummer.

Maybe a guy can blame anxiety on These Modern Times, the culture that puts watches on our wrists and seconds on our microwaves. I bet back in the day, folks measured time more by days than hours, and even then more by seasons than days. A trip to town would be a day trip or an over-nighter. Things were more Intentional. Things were likely more valued.

Today I read an article on how our culture has such an excess of food we don't value it; we take it for granted. I've mentioned the slow food movement before, and I admire it. I've also read about attempting to have a meal from all-local foods (no bananas flown in from the Bahamas). I admire that, too. Getting to that point, even for a meal as an object lesson, is a good idea.

Back in my hometown they have a "home products dinner" that's entirely local produce. I think I might like to visit that again (last time was in the 70's). I admire it, now.

1 comment:

Gaia Gardener: said...

Sounds to me like you've been doing quite a bit this summer, not the least of which has been building good memories with your boys.

"Being" or "doing" - the old conundrum. And why does it always seem to be one or the other, rather than both at the same time? That and the irritating issue of caretaking/ongoing work (gardening) vs. project accomplishment (building the playground) - culturally we glorify the project accomplishment, often at the expense of caretaking/maintenance, when I often think the latter is much more important in the long run.

Speaking of (lack of) accomplishment, my kids never had a fancy playground, but they have great memories they've shared with me of houses made out of moving boxes in the unfinished basement, whacking monsters (bushes and old stumps) with swords (sticks) in the neighbor's pasture, and exploring the "wilderness" (the wooded dry creek area behind one of our houses). Imagination is much more important than fancy structures.

As far as local food goes, have you been to the Kansas Grown farmers' market at 21st & Ridge? We've taken to going there quite frequently - most of our meat is now from there, for example. It's getting to be quite a vibrant place.