Monday, September 07, 2009

Boy, Girl, Canoe...

My son of six played this song over and over tonight:
Just a boy and a girl in a little canoe
With the moon shining all around
As he glides his paddle
You couldn't even hear a sound
And they talked and they talked
Till the moon grew dim
He said you better kiss me
Or get out and swim
So what you gonna do in a little canoe
With the moon shinin' all a--
Boats floatin all a--
Girls swimmin' all a rou-ou-ound!

I'd attach the audio if it weren't for copyright issues. Then you could endure what I did: that annoying high pitched girly chorus not unlike Kids' Bop (only slower and tamer).

Anyway, the reason for this post--it was so very cute that he liked the song. I remember when I got my first cassette tape, band named Bread, and I replayed the song "Aubrey" until the tape broke. I had that same stars-in-the-eyes look that my son has now. I, however, was THIRTEEN not SIX. Oh well, maybe I developed slowly.

Anyway, he was singing along (something he never does) until I noticed. When I asked him why the song was so great, he blushed. Eventually he told me it made him think of this girl he likes. She's been his crush for years. Now he's gone upstairs to make a bracelet to give her this weekend. Who am I to tell him a girl 10 years his senior will not want anything to do with him? (My wife is many years younger than me, after all!). I hate to see him get his heart broken, even bruised. I went through A LOT of that in my younger years. Nothing hurts worse, except the death of a loved one (and throw pets in there as loved ones, for I can still feel the pain from when my first dog died).

So, chalk one up for young love and the parent who tried to stay out of the way. We'll see how it goes. If ever I can arrange his little romantic moment, however, with a canoe and a lake, I'm going to intervene!

No comments: