Monday, September 14, 2009

Karate ROCKSTAR

House-guests come and go. Even without participating in the global phenomena of couch surfing, I've entertained quite the legion of extraordinary individuals. It's been said there are only something like 6 degrees of separation between you and anyone else of note, but seriously, who's the most famous, important, prominent celebrity you've ever hosted? I've taken Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. to lunch. I've dined at a banquet hall with two or three presidents. I have shaken hands (and since washed them thoroughly) with many politicians. I've known people who knew people who were People, from rock stars to movie icons...but the most impressive person I've ever had in my home, hands-down, has been Shihan Fumio Demura.





This man, this legend, has taught karate since 1965. One should visit this Homepage which traces the lineage of leadership from 6th century, Shaolin Kung Fu to today's Genbu-kai. Sensei has had a powerful influence on literally thousands of karate students worldwide (and I do mean worldwide!) In addition to everything else, he has had a hand in authoring 4 books and has been involved in over a dozen movies (training Steven Segal and Chuck Norris, even). Consult his resume, for it will really knock your Gi off!

I have encountered him through my father-in-law and family. My father-in-law has been a student of karate under Sensei Demura for over 25 years. His life has been profoundly influenced by martial arts, and he has passed that on to many, many people throughout the midwest. Through this relationship, Demura came to stay at our home over this last weekend.

Sure, he's a lethal weapon. Yes, he has an army of followers who would take a bullet for him. I'll give you that he's the devil in a black belt...but none of that is what I find impressive. What really wows me about him is that in spite of all that fame and importance, he's a down-to-earth guy. He's humble! (Maybe not in his arena of karate; I couldn't say, but in my home and encounters, he's been the most kind and humble person in my door.)

He preferred to stay with us, at our little farm house, swarming with kids and chaos, over any hotel in the greater Wichita area. He enjoyed playing with my little kids, making origami swans and such. He painted(?) words for each person in our house and cooked us a great supper as a thank you for hosting him. The guy was right there in the hearth of it all, the entire time he was not at the karate tournament. (I have family members more distant than this international superstar!)

I am not good at conveying my feelings to people, especially when the person is once-removed from me or when I have something really heart-felt to share. Here's what I wanted to say to him, to just sit down on the couch with him and say:

You know, Sensei, you are such a delight. The people of karate owe and show you a lot of respect, while I don't even know how to bow properly...but I want you to know that I respect you deeply. I admire your passion for your art, your monastic discipline, your unflagging leadership. Thousands know you as an icon of karate, and for that, you will always be remembered throughout history. For me and my house, however, you hold another value. You have given Dean a model to aspire to, and that has enriched his life then rippled through so many others' lives around here (including my own). The lives you touch outside karate matter to you just as much as those who practice your art. My own wife and children have been befriended by you, entertained and instructed by you. You have invested in our household in a way I will always appreciate. I wish I had the nerve to tell you all this in person, but I am too awestruck. All I can add is my eternal thanks for being "all here" when you have been with us. You will always be with us, even though you are jet-setting from Canada to Kansas, Germany to Brazil...

1 comment:

Lora said...

I think you should send him a link to this blog...maybe I will! He is such a good person. It's funny cuz yesterday when he left, I felt like my grandpa or someone that close to me was leaving....and knowing I won't probably see him for a year made it seem like forever. You really should share!