Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Juicy Job

What is the juice of my job?

It's not the paycheck! (image from Tack'0'rama)


When a student tells me:

....they'd never read a book before this one...they'd never read a poem and "got it" before...they'd never written anything so long as 1,000 words...they'd never been able to keep a diary/journal...they'd never enjoyed an English course...they'd never been forced to work so hard and end up happy for it...



When I have a moment:

...that students report they finally understood something hard...that I find a new/better way to deliver the goods...that an experimental classroom activity soars...that a parent encourages their kid to enroll in my class next term...that a student tells me he's encouraging his mom or dad to enroll in my class...when I realize I have had a family series of 4 siblings over the years all choose my class...when a colleague asks to sit in to see how things are happening...that I'm asked to help with a learning styles workshop at inservice...When I see grades at the end of the term that exceed my expectations, and I can rest easy knowing they truly are not inflated, that they really are earned by my "survivors..."



I guess, for me, it comes down to impact. I am sure that in the five years I taught English at the University I did fine, they learned some, it was all good...but that was 20 years ago and not a fair comparison to today. In fact, 10 years ago, when I was obsessed with work and myself, I was not the teacher I am today, and I did not enjoy my job as I do now. I did not always read over journals and class evaluations to notice incremental improvements in student work, behavior and (this is the biggie) a student's self-esteem.



That's just it. I went through it. They're going through it. I can help without getting all up in their business. I can empathize and do what I can to ensure learning takes place, even on the rocky shores of the life of a drop out, a third attempt, a busy single-mom-fighting-to-keep-custody-and-sanity. I really like hearing from my students years later, seeing how they have prospered, knowing (even in the very smallest of ways) I was involved. I helped that individual find a toe-hold of self-expression or self-esteem that was a (even tiny) factor in them becoming who they are.



Some students are not so needy, have a good head on their shoulders, know their future, just clock the time because they have to in order to go to (fill in the blank U). At the time they are in my class, they typically sigh a lot. Sometimes, in spite of themselves, they learn a little, too. Later, after they go on to the hallowed institution of their dreams, I often hear back from them, saying they wish I was there to teach them some advanced course in whatever. They appreciate the hands-on, down-n-dirty, applied, engaged, amused approach I take. I affected them and they realized it.



So the juice is impact, and that is a factor of learning, sure, but also a positive impact on their esteem. Whenever I take the time like this to realize what I am engaged in, in spite of the papers I whine about grading, I sometimes realize that this is a great occupation, one that's so great I am surprised I get paid for it! I should be paying the school for the privilege of teaching these fine people they call my students.

1 comment:

Lora said...

I wouldn't go so far as to pay them, but I am glad to read that you are finding some joy in your job again! It really does have a positive impact on more than you realize...I should know, right?! :)