Friday, November 27, 2009

Thanksgiving (buuuuuuuurp) Tradition(s)

Traditions....

We don't have many for Thanksgiving, except for pigging out. I think we should have more. My wife proposed a good one, spending the month of November writing down things to be thankful for and posting them on leaves (presumably fall colored paper leaves). That's a good start.


I think, perhaps, it might be a good time to remember the dead.


Of course I know we already have Memorial Day, Day of the Dead, All Saint's Day...but more personally for me, this holiday might be the only time to help my kids get to know my dearly departed dad. Their other papa. The dead one. (This picture, circa 1975, when he would have been 33 years old.)



It would be easy enough, for the next few years, to roll out an anecdote and related photos; for one thing, it would help me remember him and to record said memories. For another, unless I formalize this, I think he will evaporate to them, like so many mythological (and old cartoon) characters, dead pets, forgotten punchlines...


No comments: