Monday, January 03, 2011

What's with Pirates?


So, what's with Pirates?
Why do I thrive on pirate movies and lore? Why would I like to make myself a pirate wardrobe for a Renaissance Festival or Steampunk event?

What would lead me to build a 1/2 scale pirate ship in my back yard?

I dunno.

Last semester some student did ask me about my interest in pirates. He asked if I realized they were criminals. He questioned if it was a good idea for a faculty member to hang his hat on evil-doers.

Well, first of all, my pirating is all extra curricular, and my faculty persona cares little for pirates, probably even annoyed with their bad grammar. Yes, it is true pirates were criminals, just like software pirates and kids pirating music--all criminals. Particularly, pirates are thieves, taking away goods, merchandise, even slaves and ships. They operated under less than scrupulous circumstances, had little sense of honor or loyalty, and were always out for profit, for number one.

But they had character!

Contemporary thieves don't often find themselves lost at sea, facing mutiny, confronting an armada, being marooned for misbehavior. They don't have the flair in their wardrobe nor speech.

But Pirates--whew!!

Booty and style! Dressing up for shore? How about " a rich crimson damask waistcoat and breeches, a red feather in his cap, a gold chain around his neck, with a diamond cross hanging from it" like one famous pirate, Bartholomew Roberts (Black Bart)...he also is known for having captured over 400 ships. Henry Avery secured one haul valued at $52 million (in today's currency). Henry Morgan started as an indentured servant, but became a ruthless pirate, sentenced to two years in the Tower, eventually becoming the governor of Jamaica! Edward Teach (Blackbeard) would go into battle with fireworks blazing in his beard. Anne Bonny, a famous female pirate, bared her breasts in battle!

Like impressions of the Wild West, the era and practice of pirating has been romanticized and colorized beyond any shade of reality. I know that. Disney and the POTC franchise have once again popularized the pirate, employing none other than the lovable Johnny Depp to personify the paragon of pirating himself, Jack Sparrow.

Even if one can set aside the pirate hype, these people were fascinating.

No comments: