Friday, May 13, 2011

Art and Kids

“Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up.”
- Pablo Picasso




Every child's born an artist.

I wish I could nurture this in my children more. We signed on to teach art as an elective through our homeschool group. I dropped the ball.

The cool thing about kids and their art is, early on at least, they've had few influences to tell them their work stinks. There are few critics they will listen to, and thus, they create astounding, interesting, expressive works that leave the rest of us just wondering, scratching our heads.

If I had it to do over again, if we lived in a better world where art curricula are not always being cut, I'd be an art teacher (even though I am not really artistic).

Why? Because I really find my juice in inspiring kids to 'do' art. I wish I could cover every fridge in America with the artwork of children. (There should be a non-profit dedicated to that!)

This weekend--well next week--I'm going to spend quality time with my kids, and we're going to do some art, baby!

No comments: