Sunday, May 01, 2011

I'm the oddball

INTERESTING things I'm hearing from students this term. Interesting and alarming:

In literature class, several claimed no one had ever really read their essay responses before, and they were pleasantly surprised that I had--even when marks were less-than-flattering.

More than a dozen times this term students have thanked me for commenting on their work, even if it smarted some. (One guy said I was "blunt," but he liked that.)

In a journal entry, someone said in 60 credit hours at this school, I was the first and only instructor to call him by name. (It's not like his name was challenging, either, like Ilir or Jehoshaphat. )
Altogether, this is peculiar. I always think I'm a bad teacher, for I never get it all covered, I never feel I've accomplished enough, I always fear they will sue me for intellectual malpractice or something. I am constantly comparing myself to my peers, wondering why I'm so remedial, so pokey. How is it they have a life and I do not? Sure, some of it is that I have to teach a double load to try to survive, but I've always felt there were other conditions, too, that I was just slow in the head, perhaps, or that I needed to grade differently.

Maybe I should just plow ahead and not look back so much. I know that when I literally was plowing, looking back would make my rows veer off at an angle. Stay the course. Straight and steady.

14.14.21.35 until grades are due!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jarvis, I am a student of yours and I believe that you have a great teaching style! I enjoy my comp 2 class although I don't really have any other comp 2 teacher to compare you with :D Also, I have learned so much, never having done a real, legit research paper before, and I think that is an accomplishment in itself for you to teach me that. I'm pretty sure you'll give me a good grade on them. Thanks so much!