Monday, May 16, 2011

It is Finished

Yet again, another semester in the bag. As always, I have mixed emotions. I cheered for some at commencement (and wagged my head in astonishment as others walked across!). I rent my garments and gnashed my teeth at some in the grade book who just did not get'er done. I always feel responsible, and I always look for clerical errors again and again. I bet it takes me twice as long to enter grades as anyone else.

Ultimately, it comes down to the individual and his/her effort/performance.

However, who's to say exactly what points or percentages measure one's ability to communicate, to think critically? Sure, we can get a bead on how well people pay attention or take notes or retain terminology....but can we really, truly get an objective score to issue? I think my curriculum should issue A/P/F grades. If one is an exceptional writer, they might earn an A. (Even now in my classes, I have some earning an A b/c they are an average writer but exceptional at all the other point-earning ventures in the course.) If one is passable, but not exceptional, they earn a P...and if someone is just a screw up, well...

Otherwise, who's to say whether an 87.3 is a B or an A? What accounted for those points? Do they truly measure something meaningful? I'd like my entire grade book to reflect only writing, but my institution likes to balance the books a little. I think I'll push the line as far as permitted, leaning toward all-writing, all the time, for points.

Meanwhile, I just have to remind myself, as I do every term: be pro-active. Make sure people know, months before grades are due, that they are sliding. Don't let this grade report be guesswork or a shock to anyone. Be fair. Be honest. Be efficient.

Summer is calling. Bye.

No comments: