Tuesday, August 19, 2008

I'm seeking a Vision

So, last week we had a video warm up at in-service, something produced by National Geographic (at least it featured a photographer from NG, Dewitt (what a terrible name to grow up with) Jones. It was titled, "Celebrate What's Right with the World," and in a nutshell, that's what Mr. Jones had adopted as his personal motto or vision for life.

I've mentioned it before, yet I've yet to do anything about it. I have no vision. I suppose a guiding maxim for my life might be: do unto others...but that lacks direction.

In the shower I thought one up: "Be where you care to be, and be all there." Mr. Jones challenged us to limit our vision to six (6) words, so I've got some work to do if I stick with that. I like my working-vision, for it suggests that one would consciously and conscientiously choose where to be, then choose to be wholly in the then and there, that is, in-the-moment. Too often my mind is racing forward and back, replaying songs I like, going to my happy place...but if I can "be all there" then I might be 100% attentive, making more of the time.

I have a terrible time w/remembering exact detail unless I write it down, for I don't think I've got to lug it around in my head if I can just find it in writing somewhere (or a playlist, DVD collection, etc). My head is full of sub-routines of "things I like" rather than "must-remembers" or even trivialities I need to remember (like, say, my own phone number or where I parked).

MAYBE if I adopted the working-vision above--what was that again...oh, yeah...anyway, if I did, maybe I'd be more focused, like a Jedi or someone.

I continue on my vision quest, requesting any leads, input, criticism, etc. anyone might offer. Comment here!

1 comment:

Sam Morris said...

May I suggest a certain vision that has been a guiding rod for myself. It is a quote for an (in my opinion) extremely learned man, Martin Luther. "Love God and do what you want." Now this is not the 6 words or less pattern, but it short, and does rap up a large point in a concise manner. For if God is loved (with all that you can love with) then all wants will fall into place, pointing to God as the all-satisfying Being that He is.