Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Why do I teach?

I was asked again today just why I choose teaching as a career. I cannot seem to go at that concisely, so here's the long-play version...

I like teaching. I told classes this week that I truly aspire to be a coach, rather than a teacher, for that seems to me more hands-on, more motivational, and more helpful in terms of skill building. I think of myself more as a facilitator of energy and optimism and language than I do as a conveyor of content. (At least, that's how I'd like to be seen, and how I see myself.)

I choose the Community College for many reasons, but overall, I feel I can be most helpful here. I know what it's like teaching at the University, for I did that for 5 years. Here, at least from my limited perspective, I am able to do more good, and that's what gives me my juice. The community college is more democratic, welcoming everyone with open arms rather than throwing up GPA or $ thresholds. The community college is, and this is key, IN the community, into community, enhancing and building on community. Beautiful synergy when it works.

I think most students (regardless of school) need a shot in the arm of enthusiasm and positive attitude. I am constantly impressed with their creative genius; they too often just fail to see it w/n themselves. That, to me, is what it's all about, inspiring that can-do attitude when it comes to writing.

When I was a kid we played Careers, a game (you guessed it) about employment. There were 3 veins of stuff to keep track of: fame, money and heart. The teaching track, just like real life, was heavy on heart, but not-so-much on the other two. That's just fine with me. I'm not in it for the cash. More important than the money, I have found free time, I've gotten myself a life, in the last few years. Before, I poo-poohed the vacation time, the flexible hours, etc. NOW, I crave every minute of time I can muster, and this job affords me a fair shake.

I am very content at the community college level and I feel that this level of education is going to become more appreciated as time goes by. It is localized, democratic, and user-friendly. It is the place for me.

*Brilliant*
Taylor Mali on "What teacher's make..."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the clip. Love the Mali. If you haven't already, you should check out some of his other stuff on YouTube.
Keep up the good work in blogging and teaching.