Thursday, August 21, 2008

Throw Deep

"I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather than my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them. I shall use my time."
--Jack London

Someone once asked former NFL quarterback, Kenny Stabler what London's quote meant to him. He replied, "Throw deep!"

I used to cite that London quote when justifying being a workaholic. I frowned with disdain at folks who gave time to anything but community service/volunteering, saying they were selfish and squandering time. That was the old me, the deluded me. Now I know that time has to be BALANCED over many venues including spirit, family, freetime, service, work, etc.

Nonetheless, I am leaning toward something as graceful and compact for my vision statement as Stabler's reply.

As I understand it, to be a quarterback who is willing to throw deep is to be one who is a risk taker. For one, the defense is gunning for him and to throw deep takes a good deal of time, waiting for a receiver to get there, etc. To throw deep also requires more skill, and it also is risky for all the factors of passing are magnified with distance thrown. When such a pass is successful, it is a thing of beauty, awe-inspiring. It is often done when there's little to lose. It is the kind of move that can be mistaken for showboating, but it can also be the record-breaking, game-winning play.

I'm still analyzing it, but "Throw Deep" seems to be a pretty good, if not all-encompassing, vision. Feedback welcome.

No comments: